Social, Moral, Spiritual and Cultural Learning at Fairford - SMSC
SMSC is an integral part of every child's learning, focusing on the four main areas:
- Spiritual and
We aim to promote the children's access to a wide range of opportunities and cultural capital.
Social development is defined as being:-
- Pupils need to learn, work and socialise with pupils from different religious and ethnic backgrounds. This also includes a variety of socio-economic backgrounds.
- They need to learn social skills such as cooperation, participation, turn taking and sharing.
- Also they need to learn how to resolve conflicts effectively and what strategies to use.
- Finally they should be able to talk about how different communities and societies work.
Moral development is defined as being:-
- Children need to recognise the difference between right and wrong, particularly in their own lives.
- Furthermore they need to understand that there are consequences to their actions at all times.
- The children must have an interest in investigating moral and ethical issues and offer reasoned views on local, national and global issues.
Spiritual development is defined as being:-
- Interested in and respectful of different people's beliefs, values and feelings.
- Having a sense of awe and wonder that is linked to an enjoyment and fascination in learning of all kinds.
- Children using their imagination and creativity in all their learning.
- Children reflecting on their learning and experiences and being able to say how they can be made even better.
Cultural development is defined as being:-
- All children should be aware of their own cultural heritage and how this makes them unique and special.
- This can be enhanced by the children participating in a range of cultural opportunities that include Music, Sport, Art, Numeracy and Science and Technology.
- Cultural diversity needs to be celebrated and explored in local, national and global contexts.
- So the children's attitudes and values will reflect their acceptance, understanding and respect for cultural diversity.