Free School Meals
You can apply for your children to receive free school meals if you are receiving certain welfare benefits.
All children get free school meals if they are in reception, year 1 or year 2. If you receive any of the benefits below you should still apply so that the school gets extra funding.
This money could go towards things like learning support and after-school activities.
Am I eligible?
You must already be receiving any of the following benefits to apply:
- Income Support
- Income-based Job Seeker's Allowance
- Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
- Support under Part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
- The Guarantee element of State Pension Credit
- Child Tax Credit, provided you are not entitled to Working Tax Credit and have an annual income (as assessed by HM Revenue & Customs) that does not exceed £16,190
- Working Tax Credit 'run-on' - the payment someone may receive for a further four weeks after they stop qualifying for Working Tax Credit
- Universal Credit - you must annually take home £7,400 or less in Universal Credit payments. This equals an average of £616.67 per month in net earned income (after deductions).
You are not eligible for free school meals if you receive Working Tax Credit or other support payments that are not mentioned above.
Receiving Universal Credit does not automatically entitle you to Free school meals as you will need to satisfy the financial criteria set by the Government.
Children who receive these benefits above directly, instead of through a parent or guardian, can also get free school meals. If this applies to you, please complete the application with your own information.
If you are unsure if you qualify, please complete a form in the instance that you may be entitled.
Our school meal contractors are Independent Catering.
Independent Catering have been providing fresh food to schools and colleges for more than 20 years. They have been awarded the Soil Associations GOLD standard Food for Life, ensuring fresh, seasonal and locally grown ingredients are included in all their meals.
Their core values ensure our customers (pupils and school staff) receive healthy balanced and innovative menus served with a smile by our wonderful dedicated team of catering staff.
School meals are free to all pupils in Key Stage 1 and cost £2.30 per day for pupils in Key Stage 2. Meals can be paid for on SIMS Pay and there is a very wide menu available. If you think your child may be entitled to free school meals and free school milk, please contact the school office for a form.